Friday, October 30, 2009

The Mongoose and the Jungle Crow

It was second day of Diwali. I reached Kolahpur in morning around 9:30 and took an auto to my home. It was nice and cool as compare to heat of Gujarat. I felt like I am on hill station. Entered home and sat on sofa the door of the hall was open and I was watching my backyard. I finished up with drinking tea and went to the backyard. I was watching trees planted by me 10-15 years ago they are producing a good biomass and the soil of my backyard has significantly changed because of this. Thanks to my mom she is still maintaining the compost pit in the backyard.

This compost pit is actually a water tank which was built long back. Now this is exclusively used as compost pit. It is 4 feet tall and 6 feet wide. I am always fascinated with this compost pit as I see lot of insects in it especially the ants and the flies. Common Myna, House Crow, Jungle Crow and House Sparrows are regular visitors to this pit. We started keeping the left over food on the floor in front of the pit to make it easy for these birds to eat it. Just adjacent to this place a big pile of dry wood and sticks is kept which will be a part of compost pit later on.

I was standing near the Custard Apple tree and watching at the fruits. After some time the maid servant brought the left over food and kept on the floor and threw away the water in compost pit. Meanwhile a lone Jungle Crow appeared on the compost pit. He looked cautious and sat there for almost two minutes. After that he jumped on the floor which was about 4 feet down the compost pit. It hastily started eating the food may be he did not want to share his food with anybody.

After some time a male Common Mongoose appeared in front of me on the boundary wall. He came from the rice field just behind my home. He was looking very handsome in the bright sunlight. He rose up on the wall like a stallion and looked in all directions. Looking at his gesture I felt like he is the king of this entire piece of land. He walked few steps and stopped I could not realize what he was watching. Suddenly his mood changed and he climbed down from the wall. He almost got mixed in the grass and the herbs which was about a feet tall. I could hardly see his movement in the grass and did not understand what is happening. He was heading towards the compost pit but was taking a long route. First I thought this guy is scared of something and hiding. However, after two minutes he was behind the pile of sticks. He took more than two minutes to travel only 30 feet. Now I was able to see all the movements because he was in between the pile of sticks and the compost pit. I realized that this guy has something in his mind. First I thought he must have seen some rodent or a snake that’s why he was approaching the compost pit very slowly. After reaching at the end he just disappeared in the corner.

Meanwhile the Jungle Crow kept eating the scraps and was not at all alert. In few seconds I saw the mongoose just a foot away from the crow. At this moment I realized I am going to see something very strange. As per I know the crows do not have natural enemies except for some raptors. But the Jungle Crows are different they generally live alone or in pairs and small flocks. And unfortunately at this moment the crow was alone.

The Mongoose suddenly attacked from the back but the crow realized it. But in desperation instead of flying it just entered in the pile of sticks. Within fraction of second the mongoose entered in the pile. I could not see what happened next because both of them were inside the pile. But after few seconds I heard a loud cry of crow. I could hear the struggle for half a minute and there was a silence. I could not believe I just saw fight between two mighty animals both of them were equally strong and cunning. But one of them was too smart for the day. After sometime the mongoose came out with his priced hunt. He straight away walked in open and sat down. The crow’s neck was hanging on its shoulder and the mongoose was holding its chest in his mouth. He sat down and had look at all directions. A Prinia and Bulbul noticed his presence and started giving alarm calls. But he was least bothered about them because he had hunted something unbelievable.

I decided to leave that place so the mongoose should not be disturbed. And he was the king of the day I need to give him due respect. After an hour I came back and saw three mongooses devouring the crow. I thought a family of hero having a royal lunch.

Indeed it was a great day for me to see something very strange and unbelievable. I have due respect to the soul of the Jungle Crow…

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Masta re !

Unknown said...

Excellent and unique observation.

Unknown said...

Nice observation....

I also have compost pit like at your home. Mongoose , common crow,jungle crow, common & brahminy myna,bulbul,house sparrow,fantail flycatcher ,ashy prinia ....
all are part of our garden, but i never seen them near compost pit.

Jaswandi said...

Really nice write up!! I could visualize the scene.

Girish Jathar said...

Monali,

My compost pit is open water tank. We have not closed it.

The scrap food sometimes kept on the kadappa which is near the tank so sparrows, myna, crow, bulbul and babblers come there to feed on it.

Along with this the female mongoose was seen giving birth in the tank. So this is very special place for all these animals. Since the mongoose have come here we are not facing any problem of rats or bandicoots. Earlier they were headache for us.

Regards,
Girish

FIRAST said...

Girish, Keep it up.... Mast write up aahe....keep maintaining this style..... Very good.

Dharmaraj said...

Simply superb...the obeservation skill, the incidence and the writing style as well!...hope to see more such sraps further...best wishes...

Hershal said...

Enjoyed reading through your blog.

Keep writing.

Yash said...

That's a great experience, Girish.

Since last few days I was feeling I have lost the flock and have been struggling to find the way back to mesmerizing lifetime 10-15 yrs back.

This write-up enlightened my memories and I find that was the best part of life.

May be I have become too emotional for what I have lost. :)

Girish Jathar said...

Dear Yashwant,

I think you have not lost anything. You can start it again any time. Just have look around you.

Regards,
Girish

Unknown said...

Superb observation and superb writing.